Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Meeting Bernice!

This is Bernice! I had heard about her before we left Louisville.  Several years ago a Sister
Missionary serving here became friends with Bernice. At the time Bernice was having difficulty
supporting herself. This Sister decided to teach Bernice how to sew. She taught her to sew beautiful bags,
which she turned into a business. She has been very successful and is well-known for her bags. She also sews
beautiful African dresses. The daughter of the woman who taught Bernice how to sew lives in Louisville. She is JJ Jones from the Louisville 3rd ward, a congregation of our Church. So we went to the Jones' home right before we left and found out more about Bernice. They showed us pictures of their visit here to see her and told us how wonderful she is.  Bernice has also started a Humanitarian Organization called Girls Days. It helps provide hygiene kits for girls and hasbeen a blessing to many girls here in Ghana. So, when I met Bernice and told her where I was from and that I was bringing greetings from the Jones family, she began to weep and grabbed me and hugged me and said, "They are my family!!"  "They are my family!" It was so wonderful to meet her! She is very well-known here and loved by so many. I was honored to be in her presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment